I did it! I did it! I DID IT!
I ran 26.2 miles. Well, more accurately, I ran MOST of 26.2 miles. But I went the distance, completed the race and have the medal to prove it. Tomorrow, I'll post photos from the actual event. All I have on my mac right now is an image of what awaited me when I went into work yesterday afternoon after the marathon (and a nice, hot shower!)...
Awww! I walked into my own personal "Finish Line", balloons, flowers and a GREAT message from the terrific "Inspire" team at work, signed by the team. Made me all teary and was such a perfect cap to the morning.
Race report? I thought you'd never ask!
I slept well the night before. Woke up about 4:50 AM (10 minutes before my alarm was set to go off). Got into my running gear, had half a cup of coffee, oatmeal and a banana. I have a really hard time eating this early in the morning. Felt like I was just stuffing food into me and forcing it down. Have to experiment with Ensure and longer runs in the morning. But I digress...
Out the door at 5:25. Picked up water at a convenience store and remember thinking "Wow... these people are on their way to work, and I am on my way to run 26.2 miles"... he he he...
Arrived at the lake at 5:45. Packet pick-up not until 6:15. I am awful early. Can't believe how many people are there that early, running. It's barely light out! In the race area, there are all kinds of tents and flags and it's looking like a party. I picked up my packet at 6:00. Woo hoo!
Steven T arrived a little after 6:00. I was just finishing up getting all of my crap together... iPod, Garmin, sleeves, energy gels, anti-chafing stick. Drank a little more water. Met Steve's friend Tammy. Very, very nice person, and all decked out in pink and flowers. Will be easy to pick her out in the crowd! Scott G arrived shortly after stashing his extra water bottles. He came out to support us and run part of the distance. He hadn't trained, or registered, so he didn't want to take anything from any of the water/aid stations. And he didn't! After a few pit stops we walked to the start line with the crowd of close to 500 participants. There must have been close to 200 volunteers there, too. Amazing!
Scott and I ran together for the first half marathon. At about Mile 2, my left knee starting hurting. This sprung up about a week before the marathon. Not sure if it was overtraining, or if I overcompensated when I was having an issue with my right leg awhile back and aggravated the left knee while trying to correct. Whatever the issue, Mile 2 triggered something and I started to feel it. Decided to "run through it". It just didn't get better. I wasn't carrying water and I was determined to stay hydrated, so I picked up water at every water station. They were located at each mile (RL is approximately a 3 mile loop). I tried drinking and running at the first station and ended up wearing more of the water than drinking it. I knew that would not bode well for a good finish because if I do manage to get more water in me, I end up with a lot of additional air, too... which becomes VERY painful when running. So I decided to walk while I drank my water. It was really the only good decision for me in order to stay properly hydrated but it messed with my time.
At each mile when I slowed to a walk to drink, at about my fifth step, my knee would lock. I can't explain the pain. It prevented me from starting off again at a full run. I had to walk it out partially, start with a bad limp and baby it until the pain dulled and I could get back on pace. As each mile progressed, it slowed me up more. And I felt bad that it was holding Scott back. He kept saying that he was there to support me and not the other way around, but I could tell he was in his groove and was into the run, so I decided to "walk a mile" and told him to go on. Thankfully he did, and I didn't have to walk the entire mile and was able get into my run and wince routine for the next 13 miles.
It wasn't a terrible experience, though. Once I got past the idea of meeting my time goal and focused on why I was really there- to complete a marathon, to enjoy it, to keep my word to my Mom and to be a good role model for my son, it was all good. I stuck to just water and a few energy gels after discovering the cups of "energy" were sports drinks (which make me feel ill). I only ate a slice of watermelon while running, and that was in my last lap. I noticed the glasses of coke and focused on this as a reward for when I finished. I very rarely drink soda, but the thought of this was SOOO appealing that it got me through the last 6 miles. The water stations were stocked! Water, sports drinks, buckets of M&Ms, granola, raisins, bagels, bananas, watermelon, seaweed, salt... if only I could eat while running! When I was done, eating was the last thing that I wanted to do. But I thought it was great to have all of that out there for the runners.
Scott went on to complete the marathon (yay!) and then walked back to meet me and run with me to the finish line. We caught up with Steve, and all three of us ran together for a short way. My husband had arrived hours before and was photographing us as we we were running through various stages. It was great to have the extra support! What a great way to end my race! I finished strong with a surge, and did the ol' dry heave after they recorded my bib # and time. Thankfully nothing came up, but I was totally drained of color. Not the most flattering finishing shots, but I'll post tomorrow. Official recorded time from the event: 4:55:53. My Garmin recorded it as 4:53:05, which I think is a truer time as I started timing once I actually crossed the start line. I got my pretty medal. Got my coke from the swarm of bees that were sharing. Drank a gallon of water. And then an orange juice. Great combo, right?! It was what I needed, though. We waited for Steve's finish, and then headed home for a quick shower and change for work. All three of us went into work for the afternoon.
When asked why I went into work after running a marathon, my answers are:
- to show off my medal
- because I was wearing my Wonder Woman bracelet (SkyMall, baby!) and
- because the boys were going into work and it would look bad if they went in and I didn't!!!
My first marathon was a great experience. I learned a lot and had a great time. Can't wait for the next one! Let me clarify that- I am looking forward to my next marathon- NEXT YEAR. Once I stop hurting... :o)
One other thing... Dear Mr. European dude that I was running behind yesterday... please, please, please wear deodorant! I know that it doesn't always work, but could you at least give it a try??? I came so very, very close to vomiting while running behind you and could not get slowed down enough to make it go away fast enough. Perhaps that is your tactic to keep people away or far behind you, but all it made me want to do was trip you and take you out. Be warned. :o)

2 comments:
Congrats!
Stinky Euros. I remember that. There seemed to be a distinct funk to a couple of the runners.. yeah.. that wasn't cool.
by the way, I never thanked you for hanging out while I ran my last lap and being there when I finished. It meant a lot to me. Thanks.
You don't have to thank me. I wouldn't have even been there if it wasn't for you. It was nice to chill a little and was great to see you cross the line and achieve a great PR. That's what friends do, right?! :o)
Post a Comment