Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pfalz Point Trail Challenge

Today I ran in my first trail race, a lovely 10 miler in the Adirondack  Shawangunks. It was a stone's throw away from Mohonk State Park Preserve (thanks for the corrections, coolrunnings! Much appreciated!). And it was one of the most exciting days for me, as a runner.  Why?  I met one of my biggest running heros, Kathrine Switzer!

Kathrine Switzer.. and ME!
photo courtesy of carlcoxstudios.com

Why is Kathrine a hero to me? You should check her website at http://www.katherineswitzer.com/index.shtml for the full story, but in a nutshell, in 1967, Kathrine registered for and ran the Boston Marathon. In 1967, women were not allowed to run in marathons. These were deemed as only sports that men were physically capable of running. What a load of cr@p. I'm guessing Kathrine though the same thing as she registered for the Boston Marathon, registering as K.V Switzer (this had been her signature for many years). Her coach picked up her number, and she started the race in a heavy grey tracksuit, due to poor weather. Not long into the race, she had thrown off the hood of her jacket and was running with her hair streaming behind her.  

The officials were not happy to learn that a woman had registered and was running with the men. One of the officials chased after her and tried to rip off her number. Her boyfriend at the time, whom she was running with, gave the guy a shoulder nudge and moved him out of the way before he could get to Kathrine. 
Photo courtesy of the AP/Worldwide Photo

She finished the race, but her time was not noted.  But she made her mark in history. In 1972 women were finally allowed to run the Boston Marathon. Kathrine won the New York Marathon in 1974. She started many great women's running programs, and her work helped with the inclusion of a women's marathon in the Olympics in 1984. I still find it hard to believe that women were not allowed to run a marathon in the Olympics until 1984. 

For all of these reasons, and the fact that she is a genuinely nice lady, she is a hero of mine. And I met her.  I talked with her! She told me that I did a great job with the race, asked about my training, where I lived, she chatted with Caden for a little bit. She told me that she had been training in the area all summer and was surprised to hear that I had never been in the area and hadn't run the trail before the event today. :)  She told me that I should come out there and run because most the of the trails were really great, and not "insane" like the challenge today. It was terrific talking with her. I am glad that I waited until she was alone before I approached her for a photo request, because it allowed us a little time to talk. 

Oh. Yeah. I ran the Pfalz Point Trail Challenge today!  Lol!  The actual race was eclipsed by this chance meeting at the end of it.
Mentally preparing for the day a.k.a. feeling sick to my stomach

My watch and bib number. Cool shot, Carl!

I'd like to say this is me getting my game face on, but in reality 
it was my third time in line for the bathroom before the race...

My time was 1:48:15. I'm happy with that. It was my first trail race, and it wasn't easy. There were a lot of climbs, steep descents, some single track, carriage roads, meadows and lots of rocks and roots. You had to keep your eyes down. I ran it quite well. Walked a few of the steeper uphills when everyone around me started to walk. Didn't want to push to hard on a course I had never been on.
I'm the short one in blue, beside the girl in red.

Happy Cat on the trail! 

 Kathrine Switzer

But I did push hard enough that I felt it! And at mile 9.5, right in the middle of nothing, I tripped and did a groovy face plant. Bounced off my right shoulder and scraped up my knees. Popped back up and looked behind me. Not even someone to notice my epic wipe out. The girl in front of me didn't look back, although I am SURE she must have heard me.  But I jumped back up, rubbed some of the dust off and got back at it. The uphills were easier than the downhills today. I love both the up and the down. But my knees started to cry a little on the way out. I don't blame them. It was a lot of pounding and they held up well for me.
Ahrgh!!!

I know I'm supposed to be a good sport and all, but this lady was really getting on my nerves at the end! She would not move at all and I darn near knocked her over when I got to the end. I like to run flat out until after I cross the finish line. She slowed right up, and it took all my might to apply the brakes so I didn't do another face plant.

Ripping off off the bottom of the bib. No electronic timing for this race.

My friend Steven Tursi ran as well. He was the person who told me about the event and I'm grateful to him for that! Always nice to see a friendly face in the crowd! He did well, but not as well as he had hoped.  Next year... if he doesn't go to the Vermont 50... :)
Steven Tursi

After the race we had a chili feast, with delicious corn bread. I wish I had an appetite after running! It was a great group of people and I loved it. Another new experience to add to my collection! What a year this has been!


2 comments:

Coolrunnings said...

Congats on your first trail race and dont feel bad, everybody face plants (it means you were running hard)!
Just a few comments..The Pfalz(not Pfaltz) Point Trail Challenge is not in the Adirondacks but rather in the Shawangunks. It is held in the Mohonk Preserve which is not a state park but lands maintained by the non-profit, member supported, organization.

Cat said...

Thanks for the post- and for correcting me! I need to pay more attention to my fact checking. :o)