So today I ran the first South Nyack 10 Miler. It was the 22nd for this event. I wanted to do it because it was local, was a new route... but mostly because I HEARD there was a beer truck at the end of it. Thoughts of a nice, cool beer at the end floated in and out of my consciousness as I was running. Mmm. Beer.
Thanks to carlcoxstudios.com for the great photos!
I realized right before the race started that this was my first 10 mile race. I've done 5K, 5 mile, 10K, a Half Marathon and a full Marathon. But no 10 mile. Until today!
Caden did the kid's Fun Run before the 10 miler started. I am super-proud of him! Now he has three running medals and bibs!
This was a fun race. I really liked the route. We started at Franklin park in Nyack, ran down to the Piermont Pier, turned around and ran back. First half was a gradual downhill. Second half was a gradual uphill with a decent climb near the end. I love hills! Crossed the Thruway a couple of time. Ended with a nice tree lined flat/gradual downhill.
The water stations were great. I forgot my sleeves in the car... so no Gu. Dang it!! I took a risk on having Gatoraid at a couple of the stations and it worked for me today, thank goodness.
My goal was 1:30:00. I wasn't very optimistic about this because I haven't had a decent run since the marathon due to my knee... and then it was too close to the event to put in a long run. I was banging out a mile or 3 every day. I had a 7 mile run on Thursday but it was hard and I wasn't sure about the knee. But today everything was great and I decided to push it a little. It helped a lot when Scott G. popped up beside me. He ran a little ahead of me for a few miles, which pushed me. His left knee gave him a really hard time during the latter portion of the race. He apparently caught my bad knee form the marathon. I could have pushed it more but I am glad that I didn't. I had a really good run, finishing at 1:30:40. Pace was 9:04/mile. I think it can kick this time to the curb next year! But I am really happy with it, and happy with how I am feeling afterwards.
The only disappointment... NO BEER TRUCK!!!! :( They had an ice cream truck, but I'm not so much of an ice cream person. Oh well... the truck seemed to have been very loved! And Caden enjoyed his two trips to the truck.
I'll be back next year! Oh! Today I passed the 1,200 miles-for-the-year marker. 256 days... and counting.




No comments:
Post a Comment