Saturday, May 22nd
Saturday morning I got up 6 AM-ish. Dressed, pulled my hair back, packed my iPod, Garmin, car GPS, EZ Pass and then hit a local bagel shop for a bagel and coffee. Headed into the west side of Central Park to meet my friend Jackie for a 5K run in the park to benefit the Coalition for Pulmonary Fibrosis. http://www.coalitionforpf.org/cpf_news_detailes.php?id=428 . Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, or IPF, is not a nice condition. 200,000 American are diagnosed with it each year and 40,000 Americans pass away from it each year. Learn more about it at http://www.pulmonaryfibrosis.org/ipf.
Jackie and I decided to run the 5k together. It was a really great run and she was amazing! It was her first 5k in almost 3 years, since before she had her youngest daughter. She was a trooper and I had a really great time- and did my first ever run in Central Park!
Jackie and me
Hey.. we made a website for a radio station!
That evening, the boys and I went to a great Brazilian restaurant (http://greengrillrestaurant.com/) with our good friends, Fred and Claudette to celebrate our 10th anniversary again. I think we should spend the entire year celebrating it. We are open for dinner invitations.. he he he! But back to the Brazilion dinner. O.M.G. Terrific salads and sides, and servers walk around the tables with these big skewers of meat. All kinds of meat. You can eat all the meat that you want. We had steak, chops, lamb, ribs, turkey, quail, chicken, sausage... it was crazy! And very delicious. I sure couldn't eat like that very often, but what a great treat! I have to say, I felt like sticking to veggies the next day, though! :-) My goal was to carbo-load but I think I had a MUCH bigger protein to carb ratio.
Sunday, May 23rd
The Marisa 10k at Rockland Lake!
This was actually the last Marisa 10k (http://www.rocklandroadrunners.org/races/Marisa/), which is kind of sad. This event benefits research for less toxic treatments for pediatric cancer patients. Marisa was a young lady (and a Rockland Road Runner) that was diagnosed and treated for cancer twice. It wasn't that cancer that took her life, but the treatment. Ever year the treatments are getting less toxic and survival is increasing, and every dollar helps to make it happen quicker. Another great charity. There are so many good people doing so many good things in this world. It sounds like the Marisa Foundation will be taking over the annual Turkey Trot at Rockland Lake, which is a 5 mile run held on Thanksgiving morning. This is going to be a big event at work and I am sure I will be posting much more on this in future entires.
Anyhow- this was my first 10k race! It was a cool morning and rain was predicted but it never materialized, thank goodness. I ran this race alone. I don't believe that I knew a single person there. I had a really great race. I ran it in 54:12, with pace of 8:44/ mile. I was 78th out of 182, and the 25th female out of 86. It was a good day... and a great weekend!
Whew. Maybe I'll actually get to the St. Lucia vacation recap this week...? Maybe.
Stupid blog software is making my fonts all crazy tonight. But it's late (early, actually) and I have meetings.. soon. Need to try to get some sleep and I'll try to resolve the font revolution tomorrow.
Anyhow- this was my first 10k race! It was a cool morning and rain was predicted but it never materialized, thank goodness. I ran this race alone. I don't believe that I knew a single person there. I had a really great race. I ran it in 54:12, with pace of 8:44/ mile. I was 78th out of 182, and the 25th female out of 86. It was a good day... and a great weekend!
Whew. Maybe I'll actually get to the St. Lucia vacation recap this week...? Maybe.
Stupid blog software is making my fonts all crazy tonight. But it's late (early, actually) and I have meetings.. soon. Need to try to get some sleep and I'll try to resolve the font revolution tomorrow.


No comments:
Post a Comment