Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I'm baaaack... again

Ha! Ha ha ha! 

You know, I write blog entries in my head each day. Wonderful ones, too. I even wrote a list of topics on PAPER a few days ago and was all fired up, until I got home. Then, life just kept happening and I put it off for another day. And another. And another.

Tonight was going to be a big write night. Hubby is out of town. Son was asleep by 7:15.  Ahh! I poured a glass of red. Savored my grilled cheese (which wasn't wonderful, as I was expecting it to be, but I still savored it), read a little Facebook and prepared to watch the finale of Biggest Loser. The plan was to watch an hour, work out for the second and last hour while still watching and then call Dad to see how his follow up eye doctor appointment went. He had surgery last week for glaucoma. Nasty bit of business that is! After all of this, I was to blog. TO BLOG (cue the angels from high).  

... except... damn Biggest Losers were on for 3 hours!!! This meant:
a) couldn't work out because I had arranged to call Dad at 10 PM EST. If I called earlier he may not be by the phone. Any later would make it too late to work out because I work out for an hour at a shot. No way to work that AND a blog entry in and not be up half the night.  I stayed up half the night reading someone else's blog last night; couldn't do it to myself again so soon. 
b) I was going to have to set the DVR up because I'd have to call Dad during the last hour. I did. We talked for a half an hour. And I did end up rewinding after I saw the end. Grr. These things should not be watched out of sequence! 
c) I wouldn't be writing the fabulously fabulous blog entry that I wanted to. Again. Oh well.

So, I'm just writing something. Anything. Tomorrow I can be fabulous and add photos and all that crap. I mean, and all that fabulously fabulous stuff.

The main reason that I really wanted to write tonight is that I got my membership card for the Rockland Road Runners today. Hooray! About a month ago I decided to start running. Have always wanted to do this and always made excuses as to why I couldn't. Now that I am an old lady, the time is right. Why make it easy and do it when I am younger? Where is the challenge in that? So, I strapped on my shoes and ran around Rockland Lake. 3 miles. No stopping. It was fine.  So I did it again a couple days later.  Then a couple days later again.  And then- SPORTS INJURY!  Something in my hip made a horrible popping noise, and an even more horrible pain. The kind of pain where you want to punch yourself in the sore places because that actually feels better.  So rather than stop, I "ran it off". Ran the whole lake. Could barely move by the time I got home. The next day, I just wanted to cry, but I could not find a comfortable position to lie or sit in, so I went to the Bronx Zoo for the day and walked all around it with Dad and Cade. Then went to Niagara Falls for the weekend. I "took it easy" by not running on it for about 10 days. 

I REALLY lucked out. It does not hurt at all now and I've run three times since and I'm fully back. My intense fear of doctors and anything related to anything medical stopped me from seeking treatment, but I know I could have hurt myself badly and easily made it worse.  If I really want to be serious about this, I need to put on my big girl panties and seek medical help going forward if body parts make popping, sproinging, or breaking noises. Generally, they aren't a good thing, so I've heard.

I wanted to join a running club so I could improve my skills, err... learn some running skills. Okay- it's probably time to learn to do this correctly to build endurance rather than just go out and run, with the intention of just running faster or further the next time. I think I need to start "training". Actually setting a pace and WALK occasionally. And I will do all of this. Gladly. Because I have truly, truly found an activity that I love. I adore. Rockland Lake has been my Zen spot since moving to the area. I feel at peace with the world there. I have solved all the problems of the world and alternate universes while walking around that lake. That lake and the place it takes me to mentally, is my church. Combining this with running... wow.  I see that it doesn't just have to be there, because just the act of running itself, makes me feel on top of the world. Totally alive. Perhaps I have indeed, finally tipped over the edge of the abyss. Or, perhaps I finally found something that was a missing piece of the puzzle that is me.

Run Cathy, run. 

Oh... I forgot to mention that I can't run until Friday... when hubby will be back to oversee the little big guy. :-P

No comments: