Monday, May 18, 2009

On Running


I'm up to... drum roll, please.... 48 miles now! Yay me!  12 runs this year.  10 of them were 3 miles each and the past two have been 4 miles each.  And that is a straight run- no walking.  I HAVE started to walk before I run and after I run for a warmup/ cool down, rather than just getting out of my car and running right from the driver's seat.  And okay, there IS benefit to stretching and all of that "stuff".  I'm trying to be stingy with my time, but there is a reason to do it the right way. I get it. :-)

I was home with Caden today- he was running a low grade fever again.  He's been fighting something for awhile. Never quite gets ahold of him, thank goodness.  We spent the day playing Lego Star Wars (we kicked some MAJOR bad-guy-butt! or should I say... Wii kicked some butt!).  This is the first time that we have played this game well together without grumbling at each other when we get frustrated. I think we went up 4 levels today, which is a huge accomplishment for me and this game!  Then we did a little Mario Racing and played Legos and cars... and I did some work from home off and on all day. It was a productive day!

I didn't think I'd run today. I've been taking at least a one day recoup day in between runs and yesterday I ran my first 4 mile run.  But at about 4 pm, I was feeling the urge to lace up the sneakers and feel the ground beneath my feet and the wind in my hair. I have an incredibly supporting husband, and all it took was a quick IM to him to get it arranged. 

I want to watch my splits better.  My Timex can do it, but I'm not as smart as the watch... yet. I WILL prevail! I started off quick. slowed down to try to pace myself and then kicked it up i
n the end. My best laps were the first and last.  I think the last one was my fastest.  I should have kept it slower and went a little further.   I ran 4 miles in 38 minutes even tonight. I am THRILLED! That's 6.437 K for my Canadian friends.  I'm going to keep adding to this and plan on running 5 miles within the next two weeks.  I know I can do it.  

Running is something that I have wanted to do for years and years and I always found an excuse as to why I couldn't do it. I smoked. I was overweight. I had no time. I was out of shape. I didn't have the right shoes. There is always an excuse as to why you can't do something if you look for one.  But I believe there is always a way around it or a way over it. If you really want to do something, just do it.  Get off your butt, quit making excuses and do it. I'm taking my own 
advice, for once!  And sister, I am HAPPY ABOUT IT!

Here is a little photo I took tonight of my little heaven... Rockland Lake.  Truly my zen place and where I do all of my best thinking! 

No comments: